Arts and Humanities (K-5)
This online course provides an introduction to the study of arts and humanities at the kindergarten to fifth-grade level. It covers key concepts, such as literature, music, art, and culture. You will learn about different techniques used in expressing creative ideas through visual media as well as how to apply a deeper understanding of symbolism and metaphor to areas such as storytelling and music. You will also gain an understanding of how cultures influence art forms around the world.
Through interactive lectures, readings, discussions, videos, and assignments you will develop your knowledge of arts and humanities while learning practical skills such as leading meaningful conversations around artwork, evaluating stories based on cultural perspectives, analyzing musical structure, comparing different visual styles between works of art, developing instructional strategies for making connections between subjects and fostering creativity in the classroom. This course is ideal for those who are new to teaching arts and humanities or are interested in pursuing a path involving more advanced topics in the subject.
- Define key terms related to arts and humanities
- Analyze differences between artistic styles
- Evaluate stories based on cultural perspective
- Explain the musical structure
- Compare visual styles across works of art
- Develop strategies for reading aloud
- Lead meaningful conversations around the artwork
- Utilize storytelling to support instruction
- Examine the influence of culture on artistic expression
- Apply elements from multiple disciplines