Description: The purpose of this course is to develop your understanding of the ways writers use language to provide meaning and pleasure; the focus of the course is “close critical analysis of imaginative literature,” which includes a study of a work’s structure, its style, its themes, an author’s use of figurative language, imagery, symbolism, tone, etc.
Prerequisite: 1st year student
Learning Objectives: Students will
- understand a work’s complexity.
- analyze how that meaning is embodied in literary form.
- understand how particular literary elements or features contribute to meaning.
- explore relevant features of the text.
- develop complexity and sophistication in their writing.