Literature and Composition
The purpose of this course is to develop your understanding of the ways writers use language to provide meaning and pleasure; the focus of the course is “close critical analysis of imaginative literature,” which includes a study of a work’s structure, its style, its themes, an author’s use of figurative language, imagery, symbolism, tone, etc.
- Understand a work’s complexity
- Analyze how that meaning is embodied in literary form
- Understand how particular literary elements or features contribute to meaning
- Explore relevant features of the text
- Develop complexity and sophistication in their writing