Nature and Needs of Middle-Grade Learners
This online course provides an introduction to the nature and needs of middle-grade learners. It covers key concepts, such as cognitive, social, physical, and emotional development. You will learn about different techniques used in understanding how middle-grade students think, act and learn as well as how to apply a deeper understanding of the unique characteristics associated with this age group. You will also gain an understanding of the various contexts that influence their growth and learning potential.
Through interactive lectures, readings, discussions, and assignments you will develop your knowledge of the needs of middle-grade students while learning practical skills such as recognizing early warning signs regarding student behavior and motivation, implementing instructional strategies for diverse groups of students, fostering a positive classroom culture & climate for learning, responding supportively when facing challenging situations with students and examining external factors that shape academic performance. This course is ideal for those who are new to teaching middle-grade learners or are interested in pursuing a path involving more advanced topics in the subject.
- Analyze cognitive, social & physical development
- Examine emotional growth
- Recognize early warning signs & intervene appropriately
- Implement instructional strategies for diverse student groups
- Foster positive classroom culture
- Address challenging situations with students
- Utilize effective communication
- Identify external influences on academic performance
- Assess student learning & progress
- Leverage technology to facilitate learning