Orientation to Teaching
This online course provides an introduction to the foundations of teaching, including principles of pedagogy and instructional design. It covers basic concepts, such as theories of learning, curriculum development, student motivation, and assessment. You will learn about different techniques used in planning lessons and activities as well as how to develop a deeper understanding of best practices for teaching. You will also gain an understanding of how to apply your knowledge of educational psychology to other areas such as classroom management and technology-based instruction.
Through interactive lectures, readings, discussions, and assignments you will develop your knowledge of effective teaching practices while learning practical skills such as designing lesson plans, developing assessments, creating rubrics for evaluating student work, and delivering effective verbal instruction. This course is ideal for those who are new to teaching or are interested in pursuing a path involving more advanced topics in the subject.
- Understand key principles of instructional design
- Design effective lesson plans
- Develop assessments
- Create rubrics for evaluation
- Motivate students
- Analyze existing curricula
- Promote critical thinking
- Deliver effective verbal instruction
- Utilize technology-based education
- Apply educational psychology to various disciplines