Administration of School Personnel
This course provides an overview of the myriad of duties and responsibilities of the office of human resources. Through individual assignments and small/large group experiences, candidates gain the knowledge, skills, and attributes involved in leading both professional and non-professional staff. Specific case studies are presented, guest speakers are invited to present, and specific theories and philosophies are studied. Matters having to do with leadership and organization of school personnel will be addressed. Exploration of topics such as recruitment and selection; induction; professional development; supervision and evaluation; discipline and dismissal; the work environment; compensation and benefits; administering employee contracts; and legal issues in personnel management will be included.
- Explore the evolution of education administration and its future as an academic discipline and a profession
- Differentiate among the various functions that public managers perform
- Examine the political, socio-economic, cultural, and diversity issues involved in major debates of education administration
- Explain the roles of education administrators as public managers and policymakers
- Explain the interaction of administrative and political processes in education administration
- Examine the importance of ethical standards and behavior of education managers