Oil and Gas Exploration and Production Syllabus
This online course on Oil and Gas Exploration and Production will provide students with an understanding of the principles, technology, resources, and management strategies used in hydrocarbon exploration and development. Through lectures, discussions, case studies and hands-on projects, this course will introduce the fundamentals of good planning, drilling operations, production engineering as well as reservoir evaluation methods. The curriculum also covers topics such as petroleum geology/geophysics; petrophysics; natural gas resources; oil refining & transportation. By the end of this course, a student should be able to describe key elements involved in all stages of the exploration process from prospect definition to field facilities design and optimization.
1) Identify subsurface formations that may contain hydrocarbons
2) Understand how to identify possible drilling sites
3) Evaluate potential productivity levels for exploratory wells
4) Apply foundational elements of reservoir engineering including decline curves analysis
5) Utilize data mining tools to improve decision-making in resource appraisal processes
6) Describe operations-related key concepts such as artificial lift systems & surface processing equipment selection
7) Implement operational regimes for optimal production rates vs cost-effectiveness
8) Apply best practices to ensure safety & environmental regulations compliance
9) Determine the economic viability of developing an oil and gas field.
This course is ideal for professionals working in the Oil and Gas industry who want to gain a better understanding of best practices and technologies related to Exploration & Production activities. It is also suitable for those who are preparing to enter the Oil and Gas industry or developing a career in Petroleum Engineering.